TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

View Single Post

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 12:49 AM   #4576
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Since she always fulfills her committments - she's always got these bonuses when she's been in the top ten list at the end of the previous year. But I don't believe either that getting the bonus plays any part in why she meets her committments. She meets them because the rules say she has to. Most people in life when they obey rules - they obey them because they are rules. They are not supposed to be options like you can go ahead, get in a car and break the speed limit if you are prepared to pay the fine.

But there's an attitude - and we see it a lot in GM - of it's OK or even applauded to break the WTA rules and take the "option" of paying the fine and get a "zero" pointer. And even to get round the zero pointer by playing and tanking.

And Caro doesn't do any of that. She simply complies with the WTA rules - the organisation that has given her the chance to compete withe the bets women tennis players in the world. Which is one of many reasons I like her.
I'm ok with a player not competing and getting a zero pointer. But in that case she (or her fans or the pundits) shouldn't complain that the ranking list reflects that. For example, people argue that Serena is the best player out there (which obviously is true), but that there is something wrong with the system since she's "only" number three on the ranking list. But there's nothing wrong with the system. She didn't even have to play 18-22 tournaments like most other top players do to be number one by now. In all likelihood she just needed to play Indian Wells and Beijing, both mandatory tournaments that she skipped.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!