TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

View Single Post

Old Oct 30th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #5146
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelpova View Post
Winning Wimbledon priority for 2013, Sharapova says

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian Maria Sharapova will focus on trying to win Wimbledon next year rather than attempting to regain the world number one ranking.

"Wimbledon will be my priority next season," Sharapova, who finished the year as world number two behind Belarussian Victoria Azarenka, told Reuters on Tuesday after signing a sponsorship deal with electronics manufacturer Samsung in Moscow.

"This year it was different because of the Olympics but if you ask me about my main goal for 2013, it definitely will be Wimbledon."

Sharapova made her breakthrough to the tennis elite by winning the 2004 Wimbledon title as a 17-year-old newcomer.

This year she won the French Open to complete a career grand slam and claimed the Olympic silver medal in London.

The 25-year-old also said she was hoping to finally end her winless streak against Serena Williams in 2013 after losing to the American in all three of their matches this year, including two finals, in the Olympics and at the WTA Championships on Sunday.

"She plays a very physical tennis and when she is in top form it's very difficult to beat her but I will try to take my revenge next year," said the Florida-based Russian.

http://news.yahoo.com/winning-wimble...6973--ten.html

Maria sure is stubborn. Even with Serena around and her success on clay this year, Wimbledon is still her top priority. I give her credit for aiming high, but I think Wimbledon is the major she's least likely to contend in, especially with a healthy Serena. She's flat out unbeatable on grass. And because of the speed of the surface, Maria seems to struggle more with other power hitters who excel on grass more than other surfaces. See Lisicki. So, IMO, there are many more obstacles to get by on grass for Maria, compared to clay and hard.

And Maria sure loves to throw around the word "revenge" a lot. But she should save the bravado for players like Vika or Agi. I like it when she publicly pokes Vika and calls her out on her drama. And she's shown she can back it up with some wins. But, in the case of Serena, better to be silent and quietly try to come up with a winning game plan. No need to provoke someone you haven't beaten since you were below the legal voting age.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!