TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :)

View Single Post

Old Oct 30th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #34
country flag heelsrule1988

heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all
Re: Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :)

I mean, everyone has said it... 2012 was unquestionably her best year ever. I keep remembering how things were in 2009 and 2010 after her comeback... I just never thought she'd ever be back to this point. I was prepared for her to be a shell of her former self, with getting back to the top 10 being the best goal she could realistically hope for. But then last summer happened, which gave us hope that maybe this wouldn't be the case. Sure enough, she ends up having a year like this. We've gone from being used to 3R and 4R in Slams two years ago to expecting SFs and Fs now. And now she's a part of the new Big Three... even though she's realistically the third-best of the group, at least she's in that group at all. Obviously the losses to Serena and Vika were the one negative of this year, but we really can't let that get us too disappointed. Like I've said before... we just kind of have to accept that there's one player that Maria just can't beat, and that's Serena. We don't have to feel that way about Vika, though... we know that although Vika still has the edge over her, Maria is certainly capable of beating her on occasion. But I think the main thing I'd like to see Maria improve in 2013 is the "on occasion" part... I want to see Maria beat Vika a little more next year and make the H2H a little closer. But yeah... this was a wonderful year. It's so nice to see Maria back to this level. I don't think anyone can argue that June 9 was the best day of Maria's career (and for us, her fans)... I'll never forget that day. I doubt Maria can top that, but here's hoping we'll see many more titles and another Slam (or two?) in 2013.
heelsrule1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote