TennisForum.com - View Single Post - YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

View Single Post

Old Oct 29th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #1195
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute
Re: YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jechijo View Post
The only thing that Maria needs is a lower FS percentage from Serena! It was sky high in this match and much lower in the others. Frankly, if Vika played Serena today, she would've managed to win 4 games at best.
Totally besides what Maria could do or do better, there's noone who can fight up Serena's serves when she's like that. I mean, 3 aces in a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Anyway, genuinely so proud of her for what she's done this year -- I mean really WHO could've anticipated her results in 2012 would be this good this time last year? Hopefully she does some more rehab on her shoulder and improves her game even more over the offseason; if she does, she's definitely among the top contenders for RG and the AO.
This, if she works on the netplay like you guys said

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
- Netplay. How many times she forced her opponents out wide and they hit a floating slice she could've finish at the net but she did nothign just backpedaling behind baseline and hit another useless groundstroke? Infuriating. She is enough fast to get to the net with 3-4 steps from good position, and even if she'll dump a few volley/drive-volley into the net, it would help much more to build authority on the court. She has to bring back some netplay into her game to shorten points and games, she cant keep up baseline grinding constantly.
Yep.
Italian commentators on ES were just talking about how Maria played a lot near the net in 2004 when she beat serena in W and YEC, and they said that basically over the years she became more of a baseline player than she was when she was 17. I'd be happy to see a little more NetMaria in 2013, and we already saw a little improvement going that way since she's with Hogstedt, don't you think? It would help her not only to add variety to her game, but also to close points faster and therefore saving energies. Last year I wished she would improve like she did in 2012, for 2013 I wish she would work on this aspect of her game.
Trih is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote