TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :)

View Single Post

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #20
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :)

Even though it's seemed like her comeback has been really gradual, in another way it's been quite quick if you consider that this time 2 years ago, her career seemed well and truly in the toilet -- that rotten period between September 2010 and March 2011 That AO match against Petkovic, where Maria seemed so utterly lost, that was the one time I genuinely thought she would never win a Slam again.

Anyway, coming into this year, I just wanted a Slam and for Maria to remain as part of the elite (the thing I'd missed the most of all in the Wilderness Years wasn't the lack of titles per se, it was mainly the fact she wasn't around in the sharp end of the big tournaments and thus I was seeing her play less on tennis's big stages) -- she managed to do both those things plus a lot more on top, so I'm more than satisfied Of course I would've preferred her to win a few more of those finals to make the season even better, but I'll NEVER understand this line that some GM posters have been peddling all year that it's somehow better to lose in an early round than it is to lose in a final, just because it ruins your winning % in finals. As if that's one of the most important stats when assessing greatness anyway.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote