TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :)

View Single Post

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #17
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :)

Her best year in a long time, with much to be excited about. Capping off the career Slam was a moment to remember forever. But she left a lot of opportunities out there. Maybe several of her fans, myself included, are too spoiled by Maria's success and are too negative and demanding. But the way I look at it is, tennis is an individual sport and, as a fan, you get to enjoy your favorite player once. It's not like rooting for the New York Yankees, New England Patriots, or Manchester United. Players come and go, but the franchise is always there for you. But there's only one Maria in the game of tennis. And once she's gone, she's gone for good. So that's why I and others have this sense of urgency for Maria to win as many titles as she can now, while she's at her peak. She'll be 26 next year and you don't know how many good title chances she'll have left. Will her game hold up? Will her health be there? Will other players rise up and surpass her? Will Serena continue to be invincible? You just don't know what the future holds. So when Maria loses 6 finals in one year, it stings. And at some point, you can't just say, "she'll get'em next year."

It was, as always, a pure joy to see Maria perform at a high level this year. So many great tournament runs. So many smiles on her face. I loved so much of it and am excited that after all these years, she's still a top 3 player. But I REALLY burn to see her win more titles to add to her legacy and get more respect from fans and the media. I want her to be remembered as one of the all-time great champions.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote