TennisForum.com - View Single Post - YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

View Single Post

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1172
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
I honestly really don't think it's about Maria's serve. Imo, it's gotten about as good as it's going to get this year. Serena is always going to hit a few outstanding return which Maria won't be able to do anything about, but even today she wasn't able to do it on anything close to every point, and if Maria had been at her best off the ground she would've been able to win enough rallies (when Serena hadn't smoked returns) to compensate for that.

I honestly think she should focus less on her serve this offseason than I presume she has done for the past few, and focus on the rest of her game.
Of course its not the serve. It wasnt an issue all year, no matter how many times people bring up the number of DFs and such. And even if she would have better, Serena would punish it the same way.
Her serve is improving every year since 2009. there wont be drastic changes next year, but it will be better again. And thats enough.

there was two really apparent issue with her game this week and all year.
- Return of serve. This final was a joke, she looked like soem junior scrub guessing and jumping in one direction even before Serena's balltoss. She is #2 or something, what the fuck is this? ... And even when she doesnt play against a big server, she plays a full set with Radwanska without even reaching Deuce in any receiving games. Its a joke.
- Netplay. How many times she forced her opponents out wide and they hit a floating slice she could've finish at the net but she did nothign just backpedaling behind baseline and hit another useless groundstroke? Infuriating. She is enough fast to get to the net with 3-4 steps from good position, and even if she'll dump a few volley/drive-volley into the net, it would help much more to build authority on the court. She has to bring back some netplay into her game to shorten points and games, she cant keep up baseline grinding constantly.
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote