TennisForum.com - View Single Post - YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

View Single Post

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #1058
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future Mexicola has a brilliant future
Re: YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

Maria fought valiantly today but it’s still sad that it has to be this way. It’s sad not only for we Maria fans but also for women’s tennis. Serena has no rival. What does it say about the state of the game where the top two ranked players are a combined 3-21 against Serena. With Venus fading away and the Belgians long gone, she’s making a mockery of the game. She takes two months off after the US Open while everyone else is grinding it out in tourneys everywhere. She gets up off of her couch, shows up in Istanbul, laughs at the other 7 players, and dominates the tournament without breaking a sweat. I almost expected her to yawn at some point during these matches.

Obviously, you can’t blame Serena for the way things are. These other ladies just don’t have it, mentally or physically, to measure up. And I don’t see any signs of it changing in 2013. Who could step up? Maria and Vika are her personal punching bags, even though both try so hard. Petra? Agi? Sam and Li are aging fast. Kerber? Woz? I see no one out there. It’s mind-boggling that she’s more dominant now at age 31 than she ever was in her early and mid 20s.

I really wanted Maria to be her rival and have all of these classic battles we could look back on fondly.

9 finals appearances in 2012. Awesome!
3-6 record in those finals. Not so awesome…

I would have liked to at least have seen Maria win 5 titles. Miami obviously. And one of those Vika finals. After the French, I had hoped to see Maria reach the great milestone of 30 career titles this year. Now, I’m not so sure she’ll reach that in 2013 with Serena around and Vika still a huge threat.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote