TennisForum.com - View Single Post - What Grip Do You Use On Your Forehand Side

View Single Post

Old Oct 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #31
country flag Moveyourfeet

Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future
Re: What Grip Do You Use On Your Forehand Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlam View Post
I experimented for a little with a continental grip for my serve, but it ruined it.
You definitely want to take the time to learn to serve with a continental grip. If you are using a forehand grip for your serve, you are limiting the spin (and pace) you can put on your serve. This is because the wrist cannot pronate as much while holding the racquet with a forehand grip and you also have to be more front facing to the court so you are limiting the power you can get from shoulder rotation.
Also a forehand grip is awful for a second serve. You absolutely cannot hit a kick serve with a forehand grip. So you have to hit a slower flat serve, which is going to get eaten up by good players.

You may think you have a big serve with a forehand grip, but I can assure you, it's not.
Take the time to learn to serve with a continental grip. Will you have a worse serve in the interim? Yes. But in the long run your serve will be better.
Moveyourfeet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote