TennisForum.com - View Single Post - YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

View Single Post

Old Oct 26th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #758
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future
Re: YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Vika got a taste of what Maria has experienced too often in big matches. A complete painful collaspe of her serve and paying dearly for it. I don't think she had any aces and made 9 DFs. Double faulted to lose the first set and double faulted on match point. Dreadful. To her credit, she made both sets competitive and broke Serena a number of times. But Serena did what I wish Maria could do a lot better, which is punish that weaksauce serving of Vika's. Serena was down two breaks in the second set and it didn't phase her a bit. She destroyed her serve when needed and won 6 of the last 7 games in the second.

I know it's probably unreasonable to expect Maria to do things that Serena does so effortlessly, but I don't think it's too much to ask that Maria does a better job at breaking Vika. Her serve is more vulnerable than Maria's, IMO.
I've learned not to count Maria out or to sell her short.

For a while, Maria couldn't break Aga but she broke Aga 5 times in their last 2 sets. At one point Maria lost to Na Li four (4) straight times but has since beaten Na the last three times they met.

One thing is certain, Maria won't continue to play if she doesn't think she can continue to improve.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote