TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

View Single Post

Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4514
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Many people seem to think this very slow HC is tailor-made for Caro - because it makes her defense easier - but after her SF she said that the surface suited SA's game better than her own. I think what Caro means is, that the surface seemed to slow down top spin shots (Caro's) more than flat shots (SA's). For instance Ivanovic could still hit winners fairly easy with her hard, flat shots. Even Stosur with her powerful, heavy top-spin FH was relatively effective. But if Caro hit her normal FH - medium pace, medium top-spin - the ball seemed to lose almost all its speed when it hit the surface. It practually FORCED Caro to flatten out her shots if she wanted to hit winners, so in that sense it was a good surface for her.
I'm interested in seeing how Caro's game works in Sofia, where I expect a more normal surface. Will she still flatten out her FH? Will her serve be more effective? Etc.

You remember slightly wrong: it was at 4-4 Caro faced BPs, at 5-5 she held to love.
Good description of her play, otherwise.
Caro was going for her shots more than usual in New haven for instance and that's a lot faster than Moscow.

I think Caro was having problems with her serve in the past couple of tournaments but this surface exacerbated them.

I was thinking at the time that if Caro held for 5-4 3rd set after saving those break points that she'd break for the match in the next game as she'd gain in confidence and Stosur would be a bit deflated.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!