TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 2014 FIA Formula 1 · world championship

View Single Post

Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #462
country flag August

August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future
Re: 2012 FIA Formula 1 · World Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jean* View Post
Didn't you like the last laps of Montreal 2011 when, all of a sudden, tyres were dead because the drivers had not taken care of them enough? That gave crazy racing, and added something about the cleverness of some drivers and the tyre-bashing of others.
I liked the last laps of Montreal 2011, but you probably meant Montreal 2012. Alonso and Vettel started to lose massively time as their tyres were dead. That was because they didn't make their final pit stops as their tyres still felt good. But the specialty of these Pirellis is that drop-off in performance is suddden when the tyre is too worn out, usually that drop-off is more gradual. Another specialty of Pirellis is that they are very sensitive to track temperature, e.g. Lotus were favourites to win the Spanish GP, but it was colder than expected, and Williams and Ferrari got thir tyres work better. Pirelli tyres brought unpredictability, but that already threatened F1's credibility, I was almost losing all my interest in F1, thankfully last races have been more normal, and I've got my interest back. I just hope the title fight won't end with another contender's tyres completely wearing off few laps before the last race's finish.

And that 2011 Montreal was a great race, and Button truly deserved his victory. He had the fastest car on dry tack, yet he'd had bad luck earlier on wet and he was the last car at one point of the race. But he could catch Seb on dry track and force him into a mistake. Just epic. At this year's Canadian GP, Perez's and Grosjean's podiums weren't as deserved, they had just guessed correctly how the tyres will last.
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote