TennisForum.com - View Single Post - YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

View Single Post

Old Oct 15th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #177
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by effedcamel View Post
Since we're on the topic of mentality (sort of...), can someone explain why she looked SO agitated early on in the 2nd set of her USO SF? I didn't catch the entire match, but it seemed like she was edgy as hell. Did something else happen as well? She's at her best when she's stoic, not flipping her hair over her face or hitting her racket
I first noticed this side of Maria during her Lisicki match at the Olympics. I've never seen her so visibly angry and frustrated during a match. I just chalked it up to Maria REALLY wanting to beat Sabine badly after what happened at the Wimbledon. But, at you said, the irritaed Maria returned at the US Open. And we also saw it again in Tokyo and Beijing.

I think part of the reason we're seeing this is that she just wants to win so much and is trying too hard. She really wanted to build on that clay success and it hasn't happened. And when the old DFs and errors return, she can't contain the frustration anymore, especially against someone like Vika. Just my theory.

Part of me likes seeing the demonstrative, passionate Maria, but classic, confident Maria mastered the poker face. As the commentators always loved to point out, no matter if Maria was winning or losing, her expression never changed. And that was the best Maria.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote