TennisForum.com - View Single Post - YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

View Single Post

Old Oct 15th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #173
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute
Re: YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

I admit I didn't completely read every wall of text you all wrote... (sorry! ) but reading here and there I just feel sometimes too much optimism or too much defeatism...
It's october, the season has been long and exhausting for everyone, maybe even more for Maria who didn't have such a good year from january to october since, IDK, 2007?
Well, we saw ups and downs for everyone during this year, not a single player has been totally consistent in every tournament and on every surface, so I don't see the point of a discussion on who is better than who at this moment.
For example, look at how things looked after 2011 for Novak and Maria: he was looking unbeatable and she was looking like she couldn't improve anymore after the injury.
But what has 2012 told us? Novak returned "on earth" and he still had an awesome year with 70 wins, last year was something he probably could never ever top again in his career. Maria suddenly came out making 2 finals and 1 semi at slams, completing the slam, winning on clay, playing her best year after the injury.
The fact is that yes, at this moment Vika's game has something that Maria cannot figure out and she's losing every time to her on hardcourts, but we're talking about #1 and #2 players in the world (let's leave Serena out of this discussion - that's a whole different story) so it's not like she's struggling to beat nobodies like some she lost to when she had just returned from the shoulder injury.
I'm not saying she'll suddenly come out of nowhere beating Vika soon at YEC (of course I'd love to ) but not even saying she's a worse player overall and she's not going to beat her again. I have faith enough to believe it's a thing within her reach, if she works on her confidence and her gameplay to beat her on hardcourts and not only on clay.
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote