TennisForum.com - View Single Post - YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

View Single Post

Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #154
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM_1257 View Post
Mexicola, Maria and her team are one of best in sports. Yes, she is aware of a lot of things, but the big question is - how much does she have in her? How much more can she give? She is a human, too. And one thing is for sure, she cannot control the forms and achievements of other players... She is not the best ever that has picked up a racket, but she is giving her best, training hard, trying to improve day by day, operating with what she has and knows... If she wasn't serious about the sport and if she wasn't prepared to work hard, she wouldn't have been where she is today. She hasn't had it all on a silver plate (like many of WTA players haven't in fact, not to do them unjustice by saying that Maria hasn't had it all pink and gold..) and surely she fought as hard as she could after the shoulder surgery. And for that I am proud of her. She has come a long road... And like I once said - every title since the surgery is a bonus for her, and in general I still think so...
And maybe it is time to simply accet that this Vika is simply a better player than Maria.
I know Maria is only human and is a flawed tennis player. And I brought up the possibility that Maria may have already peaked and that we've seen the best she can give. And I long ago accepted that Serena Williams is far superior in every aspect of tennis compared to Maria. She probably is the greatest of all time.

However, after watching both Maria and Vika for years, I flat out don't believe she is a more talented player than Maria. A better player now? Certainly, without question. But more talented and with more potential? No, I don't think so. And that's why the lopsided rivalry with Vika upsets me a lot more than Maria's one-sided head-to-heads with Serena. Maria has the ability to beat Vika. She's just had a horrible time harnessing her ability and performing to a consistent level. Vika isn't blowing Maria off the court like Serena does. She just uses her speed and accuracy to drive Maria into errors and frustration most of the time. That's something Maria can counteract if she plays properly, which she isn't doing. We saw her do it in Stuttgart and in the first set of the US Open. It's there. She can do it.

It wasn't that long ago that we were talking about the laughable headcase Vika who had as many withdrawals and retirements as titles. She was the butt of jokes for YEARS. And she was never known as someone with supernatural talent. Yeah, she was hyped as a potential champion, but not the second coming of Serena or Navratilova. There's nothing about her that is intimidating. But she worked HARD in the 2011 offseason, and entered 2012 a completely different player. And that time and effort paid off. So if a lesser talented player like her can take her game to the next level, there's no reason to believe Maria can't do the same. And that's where Maria and her team come in. Following a loss, she always talks about being motivated to get better. Well, let's see that commitment, that attention to detail, that drive to be the best.

I just want to see a leap forward in her game and confidence next year. If Maria comes into 2013 and we see the same DFs, the same error-prone groundstrokes, and the same all power, all the time gameplan, then it probably will be time to accept that Maria has already shown the best she'll ever show and that a distant number 3 behind Serena and Vika will be the most she can hope for in the years to come.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote