TennisForum.com - View Single Post - WTA Katowice 2013? (International 220k$)

View Single Post

Old Oct 14th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #65
country flag TeraByte

TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold
Re: WTA Katowice 2013? (International 220k$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
Good to hear.
Antwerp and Copenhagen were rather empty if the Belgian Sister or Caroline were't on court.

Do you know where the second court and practice courts will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyak View Post
If this is true, maybe this same courts which are used to ITF 25k$?
No, these courts (Pro-Ten) are way too far from the Spodek (5,5 km) to make a nice tournament altogether. And I heard that they were going to close these courts anyway, because the owner of this grounds was changing.

They need just 4 courts maximum to organize a decent tournament of this size.
And when I went yesterday to Katowice, I realized that they can find enough space in the Spodek itself. First, they don't need an audience of 11.000 seats at Centre Court, it's not a Premier 5 tournament. Less than a half would be enough. So they can partition the main auditorium of Spodek in two, producing a main court and a smaller court, just as they do it in Linz (with a smaller space). Nearly 1/3 of stands in the Spodek is movable, by the way.
Additionally, there is a big skating rink in the Spodek complex of buildings, which is used also for other events, as bigger parts of it are also foldable. It has an audience of 1.500 and is 11 m high. In there, it is enough space for another two courts, to make it 4 altogether. The Spodek complex contains also a sports hall with an audience of 400, but I am not sure if it is large enough for a standarized court - still for a practice court it should be enough.

Map of the whole Spodek complex of buildings ("lodowisko" means "skating rink", "sala gimnastyczna" - "sports hall"):

Skating rink:

Sports hall:

Last edited by TeraByte : Oct 14th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
TeraByte is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote