TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Peak Venus would destroy Peak Serenka in straight sets

View Single Post

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #123
country flag TPlaya8

TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of
Re: Peak Venus would destroy Peak Serenka in straight sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Todd View Post
What's wrong? I'm more of a Venus fan than a Serena fan, but where do we start?

Both Venus's serve and her forehand have a lot more hitches than Serena's fluid game. So the second either becomes off-kilter it's error time, which can last for strings of games and even a full match.

That said peak Venus on grass is much more satisfying to watch—to me, anyway—because unlike Serena she plays a classic all-court grass game with more frequent forays to the net. Her last few Wimbledon titles delivered the kind of net-charging grass court tennis that people are often under the delusion that Federer plays. In fact it's Venus (along with Mauresmo) who held the last stand of an era of classic grass court tennis.

What any true Venus fan will tell you is that the fallibility of her game is part of the overall package and even why we love her because it's such a source of drama. She keeps you on the knife-edge rooting for her. That cliffhanger win over Davenport in the Wimbledon final was ultimate Venus, something no other player will match in terms of operatic drama.

I've always felt like that last USO encounter where Venus gifted set points galore to little sis was the ultimate turning point in their careers. I might be wrong, but Venus hasn't won a major since while Serena went on to win that very tournament and become far less meteoric and more dependable.
Great Post And I too believe that US Open QF was the turning point. The way Venus got to those winning positions in both sets really made me feel like at their best she has the goods to beat Serena especially on fast surfaces. To me she dictated play and outhit Serena more in that match than she did at Wimbledon that year. Only difference was mentally she didn't play the important points well like she did at Wimbledon.

I still believe the way Serena responed and acted after Venus' win at Wimbledon affected Venus' mentallity in that US Open match.
TPlaya8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote