TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Rosebud - Rosie Casals

View Single Post

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #34
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rosebud - Rosie Casals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Lucky you Thrust! What was it like to watch tennis at Forest Hills? I love some of the all court tennis seen in the old days on grass.

I wonder if she had a singles slam in her.

I've seen various reasons. Some cite her height. At 5' 2 and half inches (and Rosie liked to emphsize that half!) she was a good 2 inches shorter than King, for instance. Others cited her friendship with Billie Jean. King herself saluted Rosie's shotmaking but wrote she never worked hard enough for it.

Why, in your view, was Rosie never destined to win a slam?
Forest Hills was great in those days, because it was easy to get tickets. One could roam around from stadium to other courts easily as the place was rarely packed, especially in the early rounds. I think Rosie's main reason for not winning a slam was mental. She had such, perhaps too much, a variety of shots which caused her to choose the wrong ones in a tight situation. I suppose BJK knows best but I think Rosie did work hard enough, but just didn't have the physical and mental stamina to beat several top players consecutively, which is what is needed in order to win a slam.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote