TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Peak Venus would destroy Peak Serenka in straight sets

View Single Post

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #77
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peak Venus would destroy Peak Serenka in straight sets

People here are certain that Venus will defeat Serena on grass, but Serena has a 3-2 record against Venus on that surface.
So I'm sorta curious how folks can so easily draw the conclusion that Venus has grass sown up..
They are fairly equal on hardcourt 8-7 (Serena),
Equal on Clay 1-1,
And on Carpet 1-0 (Serena).

Still, with the question being "...at their peak...", it's honestly hard to say.
However, this is my belief...

Serena has the far superior mental 'desire', and simply hates to lose, regardless of the opponent.
That alone can and has won her titles against her sister; peaking or not.
Serena also has the far superior serve.
And placement trumps pace any day in my book.
If the receiver is capable of getting a racket on the ball, there is a chance of getting the ball back.
Also, Serena can handle the heavy returns far better, than Venus can handle off-paced returns.
We've seen this during their matches already.

As it is a rarity for both to be peaking when they meet anyway, ultimately both will and have suffered from playing the other during the onset of every match. That is something that absolutely has to be taken into account.
Lastly, I honestly believe that we are witnessing peak Serena at the present.
A Serena that has several gears, mixes it up, a superior serve (both first and second; PLUS camouflage), and a continual 'hunger' that rivals the best in the game. And to cap it all off, Serena has significantly reduced her UE count per game.
Conversely, Venus struggles with a first serve even when she's peaking. And neither her first nor second are consistent enough. She also can't seem to maintain her 'peak' like Serena can and has.
If we are talking about peaking, as opposed to 'zoning' Serena wins hands down.
Both are great receivers and heavy hitters, and both scramble incredibly well. Both are fast, but Serena is more explosive.
Peak Venus, I believe, possesses the better net game, though.

My vote goes to Serena.

Just my 2 cents of course.
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote