TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Where does Azarenka go from here?

View Single Post

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #83
country flag Igor_Biscan

Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future Igor_Biscan has a brilliant future
Re: Where does Azarenka go from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post

I will kill you now. Vika has the mental toughness that Ana completely lacked, and moves better.

If Vika is half the competitor I think she is, she should be chomping at the bit for another shot at Serena after that US Open Final. As far as picking up more slams, really, she has a outstanding chance if Serena bows early--which I think there's a good chance of happening given her track record of injuries and inconsistency--and I think she can take Serena on hardcourt with a little more work on her serve and a little luck. Of course, Serena can take her, too.

But it's quite simple. Where Vika needs to go from here is to beat Serena in the late rounds of a major while holding onto the #1 ranking. Then, and only then, will the torch be passed.
Quote:
Q. In Wimbledon, Olympics, and US Open, you only lost to one player, Serena Williams. Coming to Beijing, do you feel...
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Before that, too, actually, in Madrid. (Laughter.)
Q. Coming to Beijing, do you feel maybe a little bit relieved that you don't see her in the draw?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: Not really, you know. First of all, it's not good to see any player get injured, you know, and not being able to play.
Second of all, I don't feel relieved because I like to, even though I never beat her ‑I mean, I beat her once but not recently‑ I would like to, you know, play again, and until I do, I want to play her every week.

edit: what's all this shit about bandwagoning. Everyone's a bandwagoner at some point. The more Vika fans the better.