TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

View Single Post

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
Very good points, Amelie was a total match-up based player. She had very strange head-to-heads. She always, and I mean ALWAYS lost to Hingis, Clijsters, Venus, and Jennifer, but once those players lost form, she basically never lost to them again. She could almost never beat Lindsay or Serena, no matter how good or bad they were playing. Yet she totally owned Sharapova.

In a way a lot of Amelie's matches had this "never in doubt" feeling to them.

The only top player she had an actual, back-and-forth rivalry with was Justine.
All this is true except for Jennifer. She always did pretty well with Jennifer, even winning many of their matches in 01/02 when Jennifer was at her peak, so I dont think Jennifer was a match up problem for her. Tall players or ones who could handle her spin like Lindsay, Serena, or Venus had no problems with her, until Venus started becoming a sucky player outside of grass and very fast hard courts that is. She is alot like Stosur in that there seemed to be only certain types of good players she could do well against. Although unlike Sam she did own Maria, lol! Mostly shorter players like Henin or Na. Hingis was a shorter player but she did so exceptionally well taking the ball and Mauresmo's heavy topspin early and controlling the rallies which is why she owned her in the early going.

Either way I dont see Mauresmo being such a force in the Graf-Seles era as Sabatini was. Too mentally weak, and while she has a good game she doesnt have a big enough weapon or defined enough style or game plan for that time. Sabatini was a really good player, she just played in the wrong time.
SelesGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote