TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

View Single Post

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
country flag hingisGOAT

hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute hingisGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesGOAT View Post
I think Sabatini is better. She played in a much tougher era. She had to deal with Graf, Seles, Evert, Navratilova, and Sanchez Vicario for years. When Seles was stabbed, Graf became frequently injury proned, and the entire WTA level went down she was already declining and past her prime, and saw people like Sanchez and Martinez vulture to the major titles instead. A very unlucky player.

Mauresmo had to wait for the Williams and Davenport to dissapear to win her only major titles and slams. She did post some big wins over Henin, Clijsters, and Sharapova, in 2006 but she was always a tough matchup for Henin since her heavy high kicking topspin went almost above the short Henin's head, Clijsters was shit after her U.S Open title and basically doing an 18 month retirement lap similar to her post 2011 Australian Open one, and Sharapova was a one dimensional ball basher back then (well not much has changed for her I guess).
Very good points, Amelie was a total match-up based player. She had very strange head-to-heads. She always, and I mean ALWAYS lost to Hingis, Clijsters, Venus, and Jennifer, but once those players lost form, she basically never lost to them again. She could almost never beat Lindsay or Serena, no matter how good or bad they were playing. Yet she totally owned Sharapova.

In a way a lot of Amelie's matches had this "never in doubt" feeling to them.

The only top player she had an actual, back-and-forth rivalry with was Justine.

-- Legend, shortly before crushing Vulturepova
hingisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote