TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

View Single Post

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #4363
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I'm all for Caro trying to improve her offensive arsenal, but I think that people made too much of her losing against the best power hitters when she was number one. Sure, she was helpless against, say, Petra in that Wimbledon match. But that is what happens when one great player plays her best, even when it's a match against another great player. Pundits were just harder on Caroline because they could say, "see, why did we tell you guys? When a BB plays her best a defensive player like Caroline is helpless." And they were right. But when a great player plays her best against a BB, even a great BB - that BB is also helpless. Just ask Sharapova. In short, what happened to Caroline could happen to anyone, including any great player when they face another great player at her best. Chris Evert also had a match where she beat Navratilova 6-0/6-0. But in their case everyone accepts that Chris had a great day and Martina wasn't at her best. When something similar happened to Caroline it's someow supposed to be proof that she was inferior. Having said that, even at her best, and even if she improves her forehand I doubt she'll ever be as great as a, say, Serena, Venus, Hingis or Henin at their best. But there's no shame in that. We can only expect her to maximise her potential and try to be the best possible Caroline Wozniacki. If she maximises her talent she'll continue (or get back) to have a great career, regardless of how it compares with the careers of the greats.
The one major flaw in your arguments is that it--non-competitive losses such as the one to Petra--happens to Caroline much more often than it ever did to Navrat...that double bagel loss to Evert was a MEGA fluke,and I'll bet you that it happened BEFORE Martina became such a mentally tough player.In your defense,if Caroline isn't on the same level with the greats(as you seem to imply),then that would totally justify why she had far lesser results.

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!