TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Most Painful Sharapova Final Loss?

View Single Post

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #6
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Most Painful Sharapova Final Loss?

That 2010 Cincy Final was bad. She played such great tennis in those first two sets against Clijsters and that title would have been a tremendous accomplishment in an otherwise tough year. But Maria let the incoming storms distract her and she started rushing, trying to get the match over with, and made mistakes at the worst time, blowing those MPs. After she lost that second set, I've never seen Maria look so visibly distraught on a tennis court. Michael was doing everything he could to keep her positive, but Maria looked totally defeated. The 3rd set was just a formality.

It's also hard to choose between the Grand Slam final losses. They were all humiliating. But the Aussie loss this year is probably the worst because that feeble performance pretty much created the new Vika, who was suddenly not a headcase anymore. Maria had 2-0, 0-30. Who knows, if Maria put her foot down right there and gotten a second break, maybe the old Vika shows up. I just didn't expect it to be Maria that crumbled in such spectacular fashion. It was the match that made me consider that maybe Maria really isn't that mentally tough.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote