TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

View Single Post

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #4343
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Caro did not lose to Ana let alone get smacked off the court during the period I quoted and even this year she beat Ana on their first encounter.I thought I was clear that I was not talking about the Caro now who makes far more UEs and is not the best defensive player in the world.

As for Georges - I don't think her two losses during the period I was talking about - not 2012 - were due to her being vulnerable to a ball-basher hitting her off the court. What I do think is that her forehand broke down though. Even then - one match was a 3-setter and the other was 7-6 6-3. I actually think that she'd started her decline then. The only tournaments she won since then are Brussels, Copenhagen, New Haven and Seoul - no big tournaments like she was doing. Dani at RG I didn't see. Also - all these matches were on the red dirt which she doesn't really play well on and were at the start of her decline.

As for comparing Caro with Graf, Henin. WS etc. - well who's comparing Caro to these all time greats. I'm not and never have done.
As for the last part,I'M comparing Caroline to those greats b/c she matched them with her long run at #1 and she has the potential to match them,at least somewhat,in terms of slam results.

We can debate as to WHY and WHEN Caro lost to Brainless BBs,but the fact is she HAS done so...even in her peak period...in embarrassing fashion,and those are losses that are unworthy of a world #1.There are both Caro fans and fair,neutral types who will attest to that.Top players learn how to counterattack and use their opponent's pace against them and,if they DO get hit off the court on rare occasions,it's only vs. another elite player who's in GOAT form.I conceded that it didn't happen constantly,yet that doesn't change the fact that it was/is an achilles heel that was destined to be exploited at an inopportune time.

I'll agree with you and others who state that Caroline shouldn't have sought to improve her aggressiveness at the expense of her defensive prowess.I don't see why the two elements should be mutually exclusive and she erred badly in allowing her defense to slide

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!