TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

View Single Post

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #4336
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
The only problem with the above is that Caro's defense WASN'T that solid always;she was vulnerable to getting overpowered and smacked off the court even by limited BBs.Even if it didn't happen constantly,it's unacceptable for an elite player to be helpless against a fringe Top 20 player.
This was the theory and was generally accepted as one of the ways you could beat Caro when she was beating almost everyone she played and had won 10 tournaments in 12 months. That you could beat Caro by blasting her off the court. And yes it was true in theory. The problem with that theory is that it rarely actually happened. If it was so simple - then why wasn't it regularly happening. I'm talking in particular about that 12 month stretch where she won 10 tournaments between Wimbledon 2010 - Wimbledon 2011.

We all know the most famous match where she was blasted off the court. Against Petra at Wimbledon 2010. The next 12 months - the best she played - I can't recall her being blasted off the court like that. She had losses - particluarly thinking of Kim, Vera and Li. But she had chances those matches and they were nothing like that Petra loss.

It was the theory you could beat her by doing a Petra - but it didn't happen. And the reason was that they could overpower her for a few games. But it's a totally different proposition to play lights out for a whole match agains a player who was as good as Caro was then and who in addition gifted you no free points.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!