TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Rosebud - Rosie Casals

View Single Post

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #32
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rosebud - Rosie Casals

Quote:
Rosie was, indeed, a great shotmaker. I was at that Forest Hills match in which she lost to Bueno in 3 sets. It was one of the finest women's matches I ever saw. Both players had great all-court games and could hit with power and finesse.
Lucky you Thrust! What was it like to watch tennis at Forest Hills? I love some of the all court tennis seen in the old days on grass.

I wonder if she had a singles slam in her.

I've seen various reasons. Some cite her height. At 5' 2 and half inches (and Rosie liked to emphsize that half!) she was a good 2 inches shorter than King, for instance. Others cited her friendship with Billie Jean. King herself saluted Rosie's shotmaking but wrote she never worked hard enough for it.

Why, in your view, was Rosie never destined to win a slam?
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote