TennisForum.com - View Single Post - New Big West - 2012-13

View Single Post

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #85
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Big West - 2012-13

I wouldn't consider UCI or LBS as "local" schools when it comes to Indian Wells. It's a 2.5 hour drive one way from UCI to Indian Wells. It's like saying UCI is the "local" school for courts in Tiajuana, Mexico. As far as I know UCI & LBS only play on those courts during the Big West Tournament. Now players from a team who advances to the finals do end up playing more sets on those courts than a team that's eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round. These players have that advantage when they return the following year.

This is the first time I've heard anyone imply the court conditions give one team an advantage. It sounds more like a losing team making excuses. What affects results more than court conditions is PRESSURE! Some teams play well when they have nothing to lose in the regular season. But in the BWT every match is do or die. Your team loses and your season is over and you go home. I've seen many players and some teams wilt under the pressure.

Think of the Big West Tournament as the conference Playoffs. The only thing people will remember is who played in the finals and who won the championship. Just like in the NFL, NBA & Major League Baseball people will primarily remember the 2 teams who played in the Super Bowl, NBA Finals or World Series and which team won the championship.

In Big West tennis just like most sports it's all about proving yourself by winning in the play-offs, not winning in the regular season. The regular season amounts nothing more than practice and preparation for the Big West Tournament aka Play-offs. In Big West tennis champions are crowned in the Play-offs not regular season.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote