TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Your top 5 Maria Moments

View Single Post

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #21
country flag Maria rocks

Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of Maria rocks has much to be proud of
Re: Your top 5 Maria Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
1. 2006 U.S. Open Semifinal and Final-Mauresmo and Henin dominated the WTA that year. Amelie won two majors and Justine was in the final of all 4 majors. And Maria went out there and gave Mauresmo two bagels in the first and third set. Then she followed that with such an effortlessly brilliant performance in the final, making Justine look helpless. Maria faced just ONE break point for the whole match. Maria at her absolute ruthless best. I miss that Maria.

2. 2004 Wimbeldon Final-The match that made me a believer. I was so disgruntled with women's tennis in those days, just watching every player crumble in fear every time they saw Serena across the net from them. And then Maria appears and something magical happened that day. Amazingly solid, composed, fearless performance. She stood up to the beast and I was a fan for life.

3. 2008 Australian Open tournament-The last gasp of the complete Maria, dominant serve and all. Devastating run through the 7 matches. No dropped sets and was only broken, I believe, only 6 or 7 times for the entire tournament. The average set score for the first 6 matches was 6-2. She was destroying everyone. Tough final against Ana, with two close sets, but she elevated her game when needed and finished off her 3rd major.

4. 2012 French Open title-I didn't think that day would ever come. Maria winning on clay? The career slam? The "cow on ice"? Not possible. But her runs in Stuttgart and Rome certainly gave her a load of confidence. And Serena's early exit really opened things up for her. Let's be honest. No Serena. No Vika. No Sam. No Agi. Just little old Sara Errani for the title was a big break. But she took advantage of the opportunity and won one for the ages. An unforgettable moment.

5. 2004 YEC Championship and the 2005 Aussie Open Semifinal-Yes, Serena had a bad abdominal pull. But even before that, Maria once again stood toe to toe with Serena and was playing good, confident tennis, proving that Wimbledon wasn't a fluke. A great way to cap off her big year. I realize Maria lost that Aussie semi, but it was such a great, gutty match. Maria pushed Serena to her absolute limits and forced her to come up with something special in that epic 8-6 3rd set. 3rd consecutive match that she gave Serena all she wanted and more. And to this day, I believe that had Maria beaten Serena for a 3rd straight time and gone on to win that Aussie Open, the dynamic of that rivalry won have changed dramatically. Maria would have been in Serena's head and things would have been so different for years to come. Oh well.
Your number 2 is exactly the same for me. x
Maria rocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote