ucfan10s you seem to be confused and on major points so let me set you straight.
1. The Big West regular season standings are used nothing more than to determine the seedings for the conference tournament.
2. The winner of the Big West Tournament (BWT), like in golf also, is recognized as the Big West champion for that year. They get the trophy.
3. In fact I don't even think the conference record book keeps track of the regular season standings. It only keeps track of how teams did in the Big West Tournament.
4. For all of the Big West schools the conference tournament means everything because it decides who gets the conference NCAA automatic bid. In the regular season nothing happens when you lose. The BWT carries all the pressure because when you lose your season is over. The BWT is when everything counts and teams play for keeps.
5. As far as I know UCI and LBS arrive at Indian Wells at the same time as all the other teams. They don't practice there weeks before the tournament.
6. The BWT is held there because outside of the Grand Slams, Indian Wells is one of the nicest tennis facilities in the world. To be honest the location of the BWT has little to do with the results since everyone is playing on a neutral court. The results come from which team is playing best when it counts the most.