TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Are today's WTA teenagers breaking through?

View Single Post

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #84
country flag DevilishAttitude

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Agree she is going nowhere, the only way Ireland could have a top 100 player would be a one off Wozniacki type with parents who'll do ANYTHING to make their child a tennis star or maybe someone coming from an academy of some kind.
Exactly, I mean the only player in a list that's from a country with zero tennis history is Puig from Puerto Rico, and she's stagnant in the #150-200 mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
Well look at it another way, compare the ITF careers of both Robson, Stehpens and Babos to current juniors at the same age.

Current 16 and 17 year olds have achieved way more, Babos is closest but she started winning at 17/18. Whereas Robson only has won a $10k.
You could discount the 17 year olds though in that sense. Only Putintseva has won big challenger titles but she's still some way off the top guns from 1993. If Vekic can continue having good results in WTA tournaments then there is no reason why she couldn't pass them, Barty hasn't done anything above ITF level, but the 95-96 generation all have plenty of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
if you look at patricia mayr from austria, apparently she wasnt expected to make it to the top 100 and she was as high as 70. i bet she comes from a very wealthy family
Mayr reached the Top 100 at 22, this thread is looking at those below 20, so she has zero place in a thread like this.
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote