TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to norm?

View Single Post

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #41
country flag MKhromachev

MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold MKhromachev is a splendid one to behold
Re: 'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovaFan View Post
Looking at the seedings at the majors this year and seeing Monica Niculescu among them really stood out to me, i mean for many years she was an average top 80/100 player and then out of nowhere she had a pretty strong 2010/2011 but has now seemed to drop back to 'reality'.

Anywho, i was wondering who are some players that have had similar runs: average/journeywomen for many years then has a sudden rise out of nowhere that skyrockets her rank but after a season or two they seem to eventually fall back to their normal level ?

Silvja Talaja-from 1994-1998 she was a challenger/qualies girl with a high rank of 89, then suddenly in 1999 &2000 she became a top player finshing both seasons at 29 and getting as high as 18 in the world! But then from 2001-2007 her highest rank was 73 and she returned to 'normal' level of a lower top 100 scrub.
Cristina Torrens Valero-Finished 5 seasons in the 70-100 range and in her 12 year career only once finshed inside top 50 yet in late 2001/early 2002 she got all the way up to 27 in the world before returning to her normal 70-100 range for her final 3 years on tour.
Shinobu Asagoe-never finished inside a season top 35 in her 10 year career(and only 3 top 50 finshes); primarily a 40-80 range player yet in 2005 she was the no.21 player in the world!
Tina Pisnik- in 8 years had one top 40 finish and was pretty much a 60-80 range player but she had a brief surge in 2003/2003 and got up to 29 in the world before nosediving for the rest of her career
Martina Muller- 9 of her 12 finshes were outside the top 100 and she only had one top 50 finish yet in 2006/2007 got all the way up to 33 and became seeded at 2 majors. She then had a freefall before retiring in 2009
Well said ... I think its was just a matter of the current state of the Tour .. All these players you mentioned were really good .. They were not top players but really stable and good ones .. The reason they could not be top players is a fact that all of them lacked a "money-making" shot .. they were constitent and intelligent baseliners, grinders but didnt have that winner making shot .. And about their best periods of their careers I think its just a fact that in that period they managed to win few close matches at big tournaments which obviously improved their rankings.
When I comapare these players to the ones today .. I think of Arvidsson, Scheepers, Govortsova, King, Dushevina .. they do everything well, its just the case they dont do anything great ..
MKhromachev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote