TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to norm?

View Single Post

Old Sep 29th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #31
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future
Re: 'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlander View Post
Cetkovska, Benesova, Garbin all belong to this category too. Had risen in rankings quite significally due to string of good performances and solid play (and some lucky draws too) and then failed to defend their ranking points the next season.
Razzano was such a nice example of a late bloomer but then injuries and that sad story with her fiancee dragged her back to being a journeywoman. I always feel bad for her.
Then you have Vesnina who was a completely different player for just one season and was ranked as high as 22 in the world. I'm afraid Makarova will follow her steps soon
So I highly doubt any of these players and any of those ones you've listed could be referred as top players.
The players i listed spent majority of their decade long careers hovering around the lower end of the top 100, so to become amongst the top 20/30 players in the world is becoming a "top" player...i never said elite or great.

Cetkovska is a great example but it's too early to tell as she has JUST begun her fall(and it's entirely due to an injury just when all her points were due to come falling off).....Benesova,Garbin and Tanasugarn all had atleast 3-4 different top 40 finishes so they don't qualify. Cornet, Groenefeld and Bovina are in an entirely different category as they were all young hot shots who sprang up the ranks and were heading towards elite status(top 10) but then abruptly faltered(nothing to do with this thread). Cetkovska is the only one that fits. Bammer is another good example, especially considering she got all the way up 18 in the world but spent the other years of career as mostly a 50-75 range player.
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote