TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Official Married Names Thread

View Single Post

Old Sep 27th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #795
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Official Married Names Thread

I found another "Longwood lady". The Longwood ladies is a term I use for those New England women who were still going by their husbands names as late as the 1960s.

ANNE SYMMERS

SYMMERS--Anne Ellis, died on May 4 in Manchester Center, Vermont. She was born in 1917 in Chicago, the daughter of Delia Hazeltine and Ralph Ellis, and attended the Masters School and Vassar College. She was married to the late William Garth Symmers and resided most of her life in Greenwich, Connecticut. Anne was an avid tennis player, was ranked in the top ten nationally in women's doubles and won the National Platform Tennis mixed doubles three consecutive years. She is survived by her daughters; Barbara Bancroft of Muttontown, New York, Susan Bradford of Peru, Vermont, and Deborah Symmers of Sharon, Connecticut; stepson Benjamin Symmers of Alabama, stepdaughter Ann Reed of Florida; six grandchildren and six great grandchildren. During World War II, as a member of the American Red Cross she served in England, North Africa, France and Germany from 1942 until 1947. She moved to Vermont in 2004. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Mountain Valley Medical Center, PO Box 310, Londonderry, VT 05148.

Published in The New York Times on May 9, 2010

Using that I was able to come up with more details:

SYMMERS, ANNE (nee Anne H Ellis)
United States
Born 27 January 1917 in Chicago, Illinois.
Died 04 May 2010 in Bennington, Vermont
Married to William Garth Symmers (1910-2000) 20 March 1946

Last edited by Rollo : Sep 27th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!