TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Martina Hingis, overrated?

View Single Post

Old Sep 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #219
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
Martina will always be underrated and under-accomplished.
To put a broader perspective on Martina: another problem with her is that since her early childhood she basically pursued two completely different sports - the first one professionally, the other one as a past-time activity.

When she was 3, they moved from Slovakia - where she started hitting the ball as a 2-year-old kid - to a little rural town in east Czech Rep. where she developed her tennis skills AND fell in love with horse-riding. This continued in Switzerland.

I read couple of Czech or English interviews with her and I really think that this girl loves horse-riding as much as playing tennis.

Tennis was basically 'imposed' on her by her ambitious mother, while horse-riding was her free choice.

That's why I think she had no problem to retire at just 22 on a huge pile of cash. I've read somewhere that today she rides her horses four times a week and even spent a month in Portugal at some equestrian competition.

BTW, it's common knowledge that she fell off a horse before the 1997 RG final.

So overall I think that tennis was not everything for this girl and that's why she underachieved and had no problem staying four years away from the tour before her relatively sucessful comeback.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote