TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Martina Hingis, overrated?

View Single Post

Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #216
country flag mistymore

mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

I dont know where Sharapova came into this thread but for what its worth no Sharapova does not rank above Hingis yet. She has 1 fewer major, as much as the #1 stats are overrated she is glaringly behind in those too. Hingis was also dominant at the Australian and had a dominant year in 1997, where Sharapova isnt dominant ever or anywhere. If Sharapova wins a 5th slam it would be closer because of the career slam, but really Sharapova needs 6 slams to rank over Hingis, and possibly a year end #1 too. As much as Hingis vultured a really weak field January 1997-January 1998 she atleast capatilized fully on it, so kudos and credit to her for that, while Maria has had a really weak field to play with the last few years and hasnt taken the same advantage, blowing several winnable slam finals and semis.

Prime to prime though I think Sharapova would win. Sharapova is similar to Davenport with better movement and much more fight, and we all know prime Lindsay owned prime Martina. I know the Hingistards will point out Martina crushing Maria once in 2006 past her prime but that was an aberration as Maria came back to very easily win their next 2 matches. It was the first time they ever played, Maria probably found Hingis's game hard to get used to at first since nobody plays that style of tennis anymore.
mistymore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote