TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ~Ana's articles~

View Single Post

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #3755
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ~Ana's articles~

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Nigel wants her to be aggressive within the average route, as I said before.
Yes, I know that you said that, I just have a completely different impression. She's going forward whenever she can, her volleys have improved a bit, she's hitting the forehand better. The reason why she can't be more aggressive isn't that "new style" or "average route", she simply has a very low 1st serve percentage. She had a right game plan against Serena, she was competitive off the ground and it's not like the average route prevented her from winning more games, she was missing some easy putaways and/or hitting on Serena's racket when she had a chance to finish the points. I think it's panic because she didn't do that against other players.

Quote:
And against Goerges it was not like Ana was playing risky.. it was eigther trying to go for a winner or seeing a winner pass her by, as Goerges was playing complete BBB tennis. It was Goerges BBB turning completely erractic and Ana's fight (who would've said!) that won Ana that match.
Fight? You mean she stayed focused after wasting the break points. But, still, how did she win the match? Fight is not a playing style.

Quote:
I never said Ana's FH was a low percentage shot. Ana used to have a heavy flat FH that was a weapon, and she was aggressive with it at the first chance.
You say that she should hit it as flat as possible and I don't think that she has ever played that way. And trying to kill every single ball was what she was doing before 2007 for obvious reasons. Ever since getting fitter she's been trying to play with more patience, to construct the point.

Quote:
And Ana struggles with grinders who take the ball early because they play high paced games. Ana cant handle the high pace of rallies.. all too fast for her. She needs to have the ultimate aggression against these kind of players, like against Lena D in Beijing 2010, so she doesnt allow them to impose these fast rallies from side to side. If she lets them in, they take control and she can't help but look passive, as they rob her of time and space.
That's what I said. But I don't think that she didn't rally against LenaD. She was doing it, but she was faster and hitting a fh better. Also, she could serve.

Quote:
It was good in Birmingham.. then never good again. That's why I said since Birmingham.. since then its been getting progressively worse.. she improved the consistency of her groundgame with the average route, and that's why she is winning matches against lesser players.. but the serve has been getting worse and worse and worse.. its just reached a point its really bad, so much it became obvious for anyone to see.
You can't win a single match in pro tennis if your serve is really bad unless you're Errani. Even her serve is not "really bad". Ana's 1st serve percentage is a big problem there. And we can't say how good Ana's serve in 2011 was because she was losing in R1 for the most of the time. And against the scrubs her serve still looks good. When she plays against what you call a 1st decent opponent (top 5 player, btw), it falls apart. But how many times did Ana play against those decent players during the last 4 years? Her serve wasn't good enough even against the players like Sevastova. I noticed that her serve got worse after Miami, when she started taking those vacations and getting injured frequently, but it's not getting progressively worse after hiring Nigel. What kind of coach would make someone's serve worse? It happens when you try to change your serve motion or when you get injured, but not just like that.