TennisForum.com - View Single Post - News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

View Single Post

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #198
country flag cogent53

cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
What I've heard, Eurosport has national contracts. I guess it's obvious that the WTA won't be shown in many ES-countries after this year. There's even a chance that it won't be shown anywhere by Eurosport. But who is gonna show it then? I think the WTA is overpricing their product. Maybe some station will pick it up in France, and maybe some small station will pick it up in Spain. No one will buy it in Germany, I can't see anyone in the UK being too interested.

Eurosport was pretty much the best thing that the WTA had. In the long run this isn't good news for the women's game.

Eurosport has shown hundreds of hours of tennis for many years. I doubt they would show only three Grand Slams next year? That would sound very odd. Maybe they'll buy some smaller ATP tournaments and a few WTA tournaments.
I am devastated by the news that the WTA won't be on Eurosport. I love the British Eurosport commentators. Yes, sometimes the coverage gets shoved around, but I've been able to watch my favourite players in most of their matches - with careful watching of the schedules!
Unfortunately, the WTA is NOT a huge market to British fans. Mens tennis is more popular for some strange reason and Eurosport's coverage has meant us devoted followers have been able to keep up.
Reading all the messages on this thread, the European market for Womens tennis on tv is going to be a huge mess, and that is a HUGE mistake from the WTA. Not sure if they are trying to get more money or if ES are cutting back on their tennis coverage, but it is a big blow.

UK people - any news? ESPN UK might be a decent choice but they seem to have a pretty full schedule already? Even if it is just the tier I events, hopefully we'll get something outside of the slams.

Elena Dementieva Angelique Kerber Amelie Mauresmo Sabine Lisicki
Simona Halep
Sam Stosur Andrea Petkovic Svetlana Kuznetsova Maria Sharapova Yaroslava Shvedova

cogent53 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote