TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari

View Single Post

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #45
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I was away for a week. I went to the USO and saw Kontaveit so my report will be posted in the USO forum soon

First, Maria beat Kazimova 6-3 6-1, not 0-0 ret. as the ITF site originally said

Second, she did play Antalya that week actually and reached the final! And the Greek Championships took place a few weeks ago and Maria did not participate (neither did Daniilidou, Papamichail, or Vogasari). Agni Stefanou won it all so she automatically gets a spot on the Fed Cup team. I guess Maria didn't play since she will probably get a spot anyways especially now that Gerasimou retired and Georgatou is taking a break and Papamichail is in a huge slump. And yes, although Papamichail's fall actually started a few weeks before then, but she is in her first QF of the year this week (albeit a 10K) but she is showing some signs I guess...

I'm not sure about the tournaments in Greece but I will check it out.
EDIT-I just checked. The tournament in Mytilini takes place every year and usually gets good crowds. There isn't much going on on the island of Lesvos in terms of sporting events so everyone there supports that tournament and they have many sponsors. The tournament in Kalamata is new, but they have hosted men's futures in the past. And I didn't notice that about the Heraklion tournament not being hosted at the resort, but there was a tournament at the same club last year that Papamichail won, and they have had some men's futures there too. But the other 3 scheduled futures for this year in Heraklion will all be at the resort. And they also have a club in Heraklion with 3 grass courts that hosted a men's future a while back. That would be pretty cool since grass courts are rare.

WD Maria! Well deserved final

And actually it wasn't her first final, as she reached the final of 10K Athens last year
Her progress is good though, she will get a new CHR again higher than 580 but not near top 500 as she has some points to defend. But I think as long as she keeps up her form she can go up as long as she stays focused, especially since she didn't play from the beginning of October until the middle of January

In that Antalya tournament where she reached the final, she had some good wins in straight sets over S.Hopper, Bhambri, (4)Al Nabhani, and N.Vajdova! Good work!

Unfortunately this week Maria lost in the 2nd round in Antalya 10K 1-6 3-6 against (3) Eraydin (#417). Hopefully she can rest up a little bit now. She is taking the next two weeks off, and then will play more tournaments in October! Good luck Maria!
Basak is a good player (has won 5 10Ks this year )
Hopefully Maria can play well in Heraklion
How did Anett play, BTW

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote