TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Says Azarenka, Serena is the greatest player of all time

View Single Post

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #20
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Says Azarenka, Serena is the greatest player of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
If she dominated the last two slam finals, I'd give her more credit but she's struggled in finals against weak competition this year. I'm not sure how these wins put her above the top 3 (Graf, Navs, Evert).

Even then, she's mopping up slams in the weakest point ever seen in the Open Era as far as greats. She has no rival and it's not because she is just that amazing but because the field is just so awful that when she actually plays like sh!t (Wimbledon and USO finals), no one can do anything about it.

In terms of accomplishments, she'll probably end up in Evert territory. Somewhat close to the greatest but definitely not the greatest.

Now if we talk about who the "best" female player of all-time is/was? I havent seen any form since 2002-2003 that comes close to the best players of all time aside from the serve.
She is 31 years old. To be dominating this way at that age, even against weak opposition, is an amazing feat. Graf was retired for a whole year by this point, and her last dominant tennis was at age 27. Navratilova and Evert grew up playing in a much less physical and competitive era than Serena did when players playing great into their 30s was commonplace unlike today.

As for the weak competition it isnt her fault that Henin and Clijsters who are younger than her couldnt keep up their form and had to retire rather than still be competing for titles with older Serena, that Hingis peaked before she was 20, let alone pushing it to past 30 like Serena, that the various Russian slam winners/slam contenders folded years ago except for Sharapova. Players of her own era and a younger era passed their peaks long ago, and here she is still going, she has outlasted all of them. That in itself is remarkable and a testement to her greatness.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote