TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Is Serena the Only Heavyweight?

View Single Post

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #26
country flag lloyders76

lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of
Re: Is Serena the Only Heavyweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I think the OP is alluding to the racism and sexism black female athletes experience in a white supremacist culture.

People may think it is a complement but it is also a backhanded racist and sexist comment.

The heavyweight comment is attempting to make Serena appear masculine and not feminine.

It is just like Cibulkova and Jankovic calling Stosur half a man because she can hit a big kick serve.

These racist commentators don't mention Serena's intelligence, or her strategy, or her out thinking her opponents on court.

It is offensive but not surprising the subtle racist bigotry Serena experiences because she's a black woman.

The Eurosport commentators call Serena a heavyweight because they are racist. If Serena was a white woman I doubt she would be called a heavyweight. Is Samantha Stosur a heavyweight she has bigger muscles than Serena? What about Mauresmo she's a pretty strong woman too.

i'm wary of making this about race, i don't post much but i read the level of debate most people descend to on here.

but thanks for recognising my issue with this line of commentary, Serena is a player with terrific technique, court smarts and feel. that's why the insinuation that it's an unfair match due to serena's size rankles
lloyders76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote