TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Is Serena the Only Heavyweight?

View Single Post

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #22
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is Serena the Only Heavyweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyders76 View Post
yet again i'm hearing commentators (eurosport) using the same old boxing analogy in referring to serena as a heavyweight and her opponent as light/middle etc

i fully recognise serena has more strength than most, but nevertheless, i've never heard anyone use this analogy while commentating on sharapova/kvitova dismantling an opponent

there are allusions here which i don't feel are entirely acceptable. tennis is not won by strength alone, yet even if it was, there are other physically imposing players

it feels it's a mainstay of commentators to continually refer to serena's physicality above her skills as a tennis player. is it her type of build which provokes this, or is it the persistent belief that she and venus are athletes first, tennis players second?
I think the OP is alluding to the racism and sexism black female athletes experience in a white supremacist culture.

People may think it is a complement but it is also a backhanded racist and sexist comment.

The heavyweight comment is attempting to make Serena appear masculine and not feminine.

It is just like Cibulkova and Jankovic calling Stosur half a man because she can hit a big kick serve.

These racist commentators don't mention Serena's intelligence, or her strategy, or her out thinking her opponents on court.

It is offensive but not surprising the subtle racist bigotry Serena experiences because she's a black woman.

The Eurosport commentators call Serena a heavyweight because they are racist. If Serena was a white woman I doubt she would be called a heavyweight. Is Samantha Stosur a heavyweight she has bigger muscles than Serena? What about Mauresmo she's a pretty strong woman too.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote