TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The let's learn how to write "a lot" thread

View Single Post

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #1
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute
The let's learn how to write "a lot" thread

I've always been baffled by how many people write "a lot" together... probably a lot of people know that this is mistake but for those who don't...

Please read: (grammar-monster)

Lesson 1:

Alot vs A lot

There is often confusion over the words 'alot', 'a lot' and 'allot'.

The word alot does not exist.
'A lot' means a large extent or to a large extent

Alot
This word does not exist. It is often mistakenly written instead of "a lot".

The term 'a lot' is the opposite of 'a little'. As an noun, 'lot' means a large extent, a large amount or a large number. As an adverb, 'lot' means 'to a great extent' or 'to a great degree'. It nearly always appears in the form 'a lot'.

Mark has a lot of toys.
(Lot is a noun in this example.)

He cheats a lot.
(Lot is an adverb in this example.)

Allot
The verb 'to allot' means 'to give out', 'to apportion', 'to divide' or 'to distribute'. (Other forms of the verb are allots, allotted and allotting.)

The peasant, aka Sharapova, was allotted just 25m2 to grow her monster pumpkins.

Lesson 2:

Your vs You're

Mistaking "you're" for "your" - or vice versa - is a common writing error most people have made at least once. Here's how to know which one to use.

You're is short for you are.
Your shows that something belongs to you or is related to you (e.g., your car, your father).

You're
You're is a contraction of you are. It has no other uses. This is a 100% rule. If you cannot expand it to you are in your sentence, then it is wrong.

Examples:

The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Your
The word your sits before another word (usually a noun or a pronoun) to show that it belongs to "you" (e.g., your car, your arm), is of "you" (e.g., your picture, your photograph) or is related to "you" (e.g., your uncle). Your is a possessive adjective. (Other possessive adjectives are: my, your, his, her, its, our and their.)

Examples:

Our expert will answer your questions about pensions and savings.
(questions belonging to you)

Sarah doesn't look like your sister.
(related to you)

Lesson 3:

D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y vs Get a grip!

The correct spelling is definitely.

Not definately.

Not definatly.

Not definantly.

Not definetly.

Not definently.

And certainly not defiantly.

The correct spelling is definitely.

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

♪♫♪♫In a sky full of stars I think I saw you ♪♫♪♫

Last edited by Blu€ : Sep 7th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote