TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

View Single Post

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3852
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by overrule View Post
Greetings fellow Wozniacki supporters. First time poster here. I've been a fan of Caroline since I saw her beat Kuznetsova at the 09 USO. I was just amazed by the way she pulled out that win despite not having any of the big weapons that Kuzi posessed. Justine had left the game and suddenly I had a new favorite player. I was excited watching her climb the rankings but knew she was in trouble once she reached #1 without having won a slam. It was inevitable that the pundits would tear her down.

What I did not expect was the ignorance among the press about how she somehow gamed the system to reach #1. Apparently, these "experts" never did their research to understand how the ranking system works or to determine that Caroline didn't really play more tournaments than most other players in the top 10-20. When you take out Serena, Maria, and Clijsters (who were often injured or coming back from retirement), Caroline was right near the average in tourneys played. Furthermore, nearly all her points came from the slams, premier mandatories, and premier 5s - which is the only way a player can amass enough points to be near the top.

Caroline will be back. Right now her confidence is low, which has slowed her reaction time and is preventing her from crafting points to her advantage. I don't think she needs to dramatically change her game, but developing a drop shot and improving her forehand would certainly help.
Hi overrule - great first post here,

I do miss the Caro of the last few years. And that USO 2009 match vs Sveta you mention - I cannot begin to describe how thrilled I was she battled through that when Sveta was brilliant for nearly two sets. But nearly wasn't enough against Caro back then.

I really hope you are right and she does bounce back. I miss those days.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!