TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Ana Ivanovic's Dramatic Weight Loss: Any One Concerned... Yet??

View Single Post

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #325
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ana Ivanovic's Dramatic Weight Loss: Any One Concerned... Yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
The reason you don't see it is you're making an unlikely assumption. That Nigel Sear's coaching is the reason for her improvement.

I'm not saying Sears is a bad coach. But at the top of most sports, losing weight, if done correctly, increases athletic performance. That's not an absolute, but it's very true in most sports where endurance and foot speed are issues. She was getting back stuff against Serena most players couldn't even touch.
My assumption is based on her results and her game. Credits to Ana for getting those balls back, it's not like I think that she's faster than she was in 2008, but never mind. She's a tall woman who has a huge forehand and who used to have a huge serve, getting the balls back is not her playing style. Her game plan should be really simple: serve and forehand. Her junkballing, variety and defensive skills are superb for a big hitter, but she made that progress in 2007 when she lost some weight for the first time. In that department I haven't seen big progress after 2008.