TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Margaret Court's record

View Single Post

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
If I had to pick someone to play for all the marbles in a pressure situation I would pick King.
We agree there Macn. King was marvelous under pressure and Court was choky at Wimbledon. Tinling put it best when he said something like there being invisible vultures over Margaret's head there.

Can't go with on the French being behind the US Open in importance though. What do you base that on? True, after 1974 I'd agree, but in the years we are talking about the French often had a stronger field than the US. The French got MUCH MORE coberage outside the US, and finally the US was the #2 event on grass while the French was #1 on clay without doubt.

And as for King being weak on clay-that's a fact. Her head to head vs top players on dirt is atrocious. She NEVER beat Evert on clay and a win vs. Court, Turner, or Richey on clay was rare. Quarterfinal results are meaningless IMO at this level-you either win or you don't. I give credit to Billie Jean for winning a French (she did what Seles couldn't for example) but lets face it, this is BJK's one obvious area of weakness. It's what makes Court marginally better, even if we argue over how big or small the margin is.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote