TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM   #2346
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

For Graf, wait was longer than her fourth-round win
September 03, 1991 | By New York Daily News

NEW YORK -- Steffi Graf waited nearly an hour and a half to play her fourth-round U.S. Open match last night against Judith Wiesner.

It was supposed to be a day match but someone named Connors was playing ahead of her ...

Graf's wait was longer than her match as she defeated Wiesner of Austria, 7-5, 6-4, in 1 hour and 4 minutes and advanced to tomorrow's quarterfinals.

"I came here at noon so it was a long day of waiting," said Graf, the top women's seed. "In a way I wanted to get out there. But on the other hand it was quite interesting to see [Connors] come back."

During the final set of the 4:41 match between Jimmy Connors and Aaron Krickstein, Graf even offered to play on the Grandstand court.

"Yeah, 6-5 in the fifth set ... we would/could start on the Grandstand," Graf said. "And I said, 'Why wait that long?' But I am not going to leave the match. I wanted to see the ending of it."

In the quarterfinals, Graf will play Conchita Martinez, who ousted Zina Garrison, 6-4, 6-4. "She's playing quite well," Graf said of the eighth-seeded Martinez, a baseliner with a solid forehand.

Martina Navratilova defeated Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere, 7-6 (7-5), 1-6, 6-2, and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario beat Natalia Zvereva, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) to set up another quarterfinal.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote