TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Rule Changes

Thread: Rule Changes
View Single Post

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 07:19 PM   #88
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rule Changes

coach Diaz of UGA men suggests eliminating individual NCAA;

link

Manuel Diaz, head coach, Georgia Men

Personally, I think that the main issue here is the length of the NCAA Championship and the student-athlete welfare.

I would suggest that by doing away with the NCAA Singles and Doubles (Individual) portion of the tournament, we would solve these issues. I believe the great majority of coaches don't want that event after the team event. The ITA already holds an individual National Fall tournament (the All-American) and also a National Indoor Championship. The Fall should be the individual portion of our season and the Spring should just be the team portion of the season. Right now the individual event is always anticlimactic to the team tournament. Some players are exhausted because they were in the team portion of the tournament while others just practiced. Yes, they will be more rested if the team event begins with the Final Four, but this would come at great cost to the many student-athletes that lose the greatest experience of the year. We need them to experience that event so they can grow.

If the coaches wanted to add a Spring Individual Championship later they could do that through the ITA or the NCAA.
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote