TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Julia Glushko

Thread: Julia Glushko
View Single Post

Old Aug 24th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #419
country flag Archer16

Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute
Q3: Julia Glushko d. Saisai Zheng 6-3 6-3

First slam MD (or any WTA MD for that matter)

(copying a few of my notes from the GM thread)
The Chinese just couldn't hold serve - broken in 7 out of 9 service games (and faced BP in one of the other two as well).
Got 75% of her first serves in, but won just 40% of the points behind it...
Julia herself didn't exactly serve great today - only 1 ace (but also only 1 DF) as opposed to 10 vs Davis, broken 4 times and saved BP in a few others as well, including the last game.

Match summary:
Set 1: Julia broke to start it off, held, Zheng held for 2-1 - her only serving game where she didn't face BP - and broke back, the first of 4 successive breaks of serve. Julia held easily for 5-3 and broke again to close the set.
Set 2: This time the Chinese started with a break, and saved BP to hold. Julia served for 1-2, broke, and facing two BPs at 2-2 (*15-40) reeled off 10 straight points (breaking to love in the process) for *4-2 (30-0). She then lost the next 4 points to hand back the break, and after breaking back again led 30-0 and let Zheng get a BP at 30-40, but saved it and won GSM.

Most of the qualifier spots are not too intimidating, as long as she doesn't draw a seed (Ivanovic, Goerges, Wickmayer) or Makarova.
I wouldn't mind her drawing Shahar, and yes she will go as the favorite if it happens...
R2 would be huge for Julia, and it might serve as some sort of an ultimate wake-up call for Shahar to do an overhaul, although I don't really know what she's waiting for.
Archer16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote