TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Donna Vekic

Thread: Donna Vekic
View Single Post

Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:51 AM   #1845
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic

Wow, who would've thought I do believe in Donna, but I don't think even the greatest believers among us saw this coming! Congratulations girl, you've already done a grand job

Considering her age, the fact it's her first time on a slam and the quality of opposition (this girl is not only ranked at 160, but has also been playing very good lately), these points are more than well deserved. And talk about points - 40 points is the same what you get for reaching semis of a 50k+H, quarters of 100k+H, 3rd round from qualies on a 56-draw International or win a round on a 56-draw regular Premier. That's the importance of slams. Of course, the downside is that now Donna has even less of a chance to move forward while playing smaller events, cause anything smaller than the semis of a 25k wouldn't really give her ranking a significant improvement, but I think that with the confidence from this latest experience she won't be as interested in weaker events anyway.

But, back to Earth, there's next round to play. Donna's QR1 win definately seems more impressive than Karolina's (beat Botto, wta 221, 4 & 2), but Karo is still the one who is seeded in these qualies, not to mention with a mountain of experience compared to Donna. Of course, Donna will be the underdog in pretty much any match she plays here, and if this were the first round I'd give Donna the smallest of small chances for a win, but her performance in QR1 really makes you wonder. Karo doesn't seem to be in some good form at first glance, but we have to take into account that she's been playing a good number of WTA events lately and not as many ITF's. She crushed Cepelova in Cinci, but then lost to Riske in Bronx. She qualified for both Wimbledon and RG (with an easier draw in Paris), but got really unlucky in main draw both times. Now, I might be imagining things, but from her results it seems to me that she has more problems with girls whose style is a bit more on the agressive side and who are at home on faster surfaces (Robson in RG, LDB in W) - if this is true, it's something that could give Donna a better chance, that is of course, assuming she finds enough composure, focus and confidence to bring out the best of her attacking game.

OK now, let's not get carried away, I really have no expectations from this one, just hoping for a solid performance from Donna and maybe a nicely competitive match. Unfortunately there's no chance for streaming again but I really have no problem with that as long as she keeps playing well.

Good luck Donna
ma re is online now View My Blog!